The baggage/express room in the Wawa station featured 8’x8′ roll-up freight doors on both the track and street sides of the station. I scratchbuilt these from a .020″ styrene sheet back and .010x.030″ strip for the grid pattern on the door sections. The outer door frame is .020x.060″ strip on edge.
Doors and corner posts (angle bits in the middle) airbrushed Sylvan Green. The corner posts are made from a 2×2 spacer to match the door frame and a 1×6 front piece with a corner filed off to a curve.
Front (track side) baggage door and corner posts installed:
And Wawa station finishes another step forward to completion.
While the lower story was brick, the upper level of the structure was clad in cedar-grain asbestos shingle siding. I reproduced this with strips of grey cardstock. It took a little while, and my technique rather refined as I went along, but I’m generally happy with the result.
A number of ACR structures used this type of shingle siding, so expect to see this sort of finish again on other future projects…
I got a little tired of digging around in my box of packages of styrene strip to try and find the specific size I need for whatever project I’m working on, so I broke out the foam core board and whipped up a little something.
Fine precision isn’t necessarily key to this project but the overall size is 11.5” wide, 18” tall overall and 4” deep. The rear set of pockets has a 2” deep false floor to stagger them higher than the front row so the labels are visible. All of the pieces are glued together with regular PVA white glue. Other that that, what you see is pretty much what you get.
Now my styrene supply is much more organized and easy to access. A must have for any serious hobbyist’s workshop. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, and should have done a while ago…